BURIAL BENEFITS – U.S. DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN AFFAIRS NATIONAL CEMETERY
- Gravesite at one of 117 national cemeteries
- Opening and closing of the grave
- Perpetual Care
- Government headstone or marker
- Grave liner for casket remains
- Presidential Memorial Certificate
*Cremated remains buried or inurned in national cemeteries are given the same honors as casketed remains.
- One per veteran, most veterans are eligible.
- When burial is in a private cemetery, flags may be obtained from VA regional offices, national cemeteries and most U.S. post offices by completing a VA Form 2008, application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. Include a copy of the veteran’s discharge papers.
- Flag holders are not provided.
Under certain circumstances, monetary burial allowance is available from VA Administration, (800) 827-1000.
Any veteran with 90 days wartime service and discharged with other than a dishonorable discharge is eligible for burial in a state veteran’s cemetery (CGS Sec.27-122b). Spouses are also eligible. Grave markers are provided.
VA Federal (800) 827-1000 Website: http://www.va.gov